Saturday, February 19, 2011

Sewing Class #2: Tote Bag

I went to my next sewing class today.  It was REALLY busy in the store.  I think there were 6 of us sewing.  No one (of course) spoke English.  I don't know that much Korean, but I know enough to know that they were talking about me.  Nothing bad.  It was along the lines of "Try to talk to her" "No, my English isn't very good."  "Look at her purse.  I think she made it."  "Why is she in the beginning sewing class then?  One of her friends must have made it." yak, yak, yak.  I tried to explain in my VERY broken Korean that yes, I did make my purse; no, I'm not a beginning sewer, my grama and mom taught me; yes, I know how to use an overlock (serger).  I was really shocked that they understood me.  Buy the end we were laughing and having a great time.  It's nice to get away from the KFS area once in a while.

The tote bag turned out great.  I love the pattern.  It's a bit different than other patterns.  You sew the sides wrong side together first, then turn it so the right sides are together.  This creates a nice, tidy seam on the outside and inside of the bag.  I was a little bummed after I took some pics of it.  I saw that the pocket was crooked.  The teacher pinned it.  I'm trying to decide if I want to rip it out and redo it.  What do you think?

1 comment: