Friday, April 1, 2011

Scrappy Easter Egg Tutorial

I'm going to try write my first tutorial.  This is for the Easter Egg money holders I made earlier this week.  I found it was a great way to use up some of my scrap fabric.

Scrappy Easter Egg Pattern
 


You need to start out by selecting scraps of fabric and cut them 3.5 in in length.  The widths can vary depending on the scraps.


Select a pattern that you like.


Sew the stripes (right sides) together until you reach a length of about 4.5-5 in.


Iron the seams flat


Center your pattern on the fabric and trace around the egg pattern.  I use a disappearing pen, but you can use a washable pen or sewer's chalk as well.  Pick two more scraps for the back and pocket. Trace them as well. (sorry, no pic)


I add a layer of fusible stabilizer to add strength.  Trace around each of the pattern pieces.



**Add .25 in seam allowance around each pattern piece


Iron on the fusible stabilizer.


At this point you can add any extra decorations to your egg.  Add ribbon, lace, embroidery, buttons, etc.


Cut out all three pieces.


Iron the strait edge of the back and pocket pieces flat (.25 in)


Sew close to the edge.


Pinning right sides together, first pin the bottom pocket.  Then, pin the top back piece.


Sew all the way around the egg along the line you traced.  Make sure to reverse at the beginning and end of the seam.


Snip fabric all the way around the egg.  Make sure to angle the cuts.


Flip the egg over and continue snipping, creating these little triangles.  This will make the edge look neat once we turn the egg.


Turn one side, then the other.




Iron the egg flat.


TaaDaa!!!  You're done!

Add a little cash for your special someone, and the egg is complete!


Since this is my first tutorial, if you have any comments on something that is unclear or needs to be changed, please contact me.  I would really appreciate it!

**Feel free to use and share this tutorial.  Please do not use it to sell, and also make sure to link back to the tutorial.  Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. These are sooo cute! And a great way to give a little Easter cash...
    I linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-scrappy-easter-egg-money-holder/2011/04/01/

    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Anne! I hope people enjoy making them as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are very cute .I wish I had seen them before Easter. What a wonderful Idea

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have some cute projects! I'm your newest follower!

    Andrea
    www.addicted2tutes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete